In preparation for my first official day of working remotely, I’ve tuned up my home work station and finally got all my essentials in place.
The wrangling of most of the tech was courtesy of Automattic 🙂
My Ergohuman Mesh Chair was next to arrive and I must say, it is pretty damn comfy.
1. LG UltraFine 5K Display – This 27-inch display sends 14.7 million mega crispy eye candy pixels straight to my eyeballs. Love. I use this large monitor when I need to have multiple windows open together side by side, or when I’m having a look at user websites. What’s also great about this monitor is that it duly supports display output and charges my MacBook at the same time with a single Thunderbolt 3 cable. This means I don’t have to worry about pulling out the Apple charging brick and stringing up another cable — I could just leave it my bag, ready to be on-the-go.
2. 15-inch MacBook Pro (Space Gray) w/TouchBar (2017) – An almost fully spec’d out MacBook Pro. Currently running: 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB of memory, 4GB graphics, and 1TB of SSD storage (the one thing I didn’t max out). The idea with this setup here is that I have my MacBook propped up on a stand (Twelve South Curve Stand) and I primarily use it as my main base for communication with my team via Slack.
3. 4.7-inch iPhone 6s – Lightweight mobile that gets the job done. Yeah, I know the iPhone 7, 8,
9, & 10 already came out, but for me when it comes to phones, I’m in no rush to get the newest & latest. While I don’t foresee myself making any work-related phone calls (all communication is done online), having a mobile does become necessary as that second security factor when enabling 2FA (2-Factor Authentication) on all my internet accounts and devices.
5. Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad – I was debating whether or not I should have gotten the keyboard without the keypad, but what ultimately kept me from buying it was the directional arrow design. I’m a fan of equally-sized arrow keys in the upside down Tetris T-block formation.
6. Magic Trackpad 2 – I’m all about the scrolls & swipes 🙂
7. The 4-Hour Work Week | Timothy Ferriss – In the spirit of getting into the entrepreneurial remote-work life mindset, I’ve stumbled upon the 4-Hour Work Week — my current reading material. Is it coincidence that the author of this book has interviewed Matt Mullenweg (CEO of the company I work for) several times? I think not. Great minds think alike, don’t they 😉 Also sitting atop my desk are the Japanese versions of two of my favorite books, Delivering Happiness | Tony Hsieh, and Start With Why | Simon Sinek.
8. Animal Pak | Universal Creatine | Universal Beta Ala9 – Some basic supplements hiding behind my laptop. After a long hiatus from working out, I’m finally getting back into the swing of things. Now that I’ll have more freedom to choose how & where I work, I should be able to squeeze in a set or two during my breaks.
9. 48-inch Crank Adjustable Standing Desk (Glossy Black) – The latest and probably most important addition to my office is the desk. What kept me from choosing a motorized desk was, 1) reviews saying over time the motor would break down, and 2) they were hardly any options that would ship to Japan anyway. But here’s the kicker with this desk: it’s got wheels! Yeah man. Not only standing, but movable too!